Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Trip Part 1

Well I'm back, Dublin seems to be in black and white after glorious Tennessee which has me a bit down but there you go.
We arrived in Memphis after what seemed forever (flew to Amsterdam first, hung around for a few hours and then about 9 hours to Memphis), rented a car drove into town, droped the bags at the hotel and then down to Beale street. Enjoyed a few "Big Ass Beers" (see photo) while walking around in the crippling heat and Humidity which is not meant to be experienced by white Irish boys. Grabbed some eats in the very fine Blues City Cafe and did our best to hang out on the strip but we were knackered after the long haul so hit the sheets at the relatively early time of 1 in the morning.

Woke up on the Sunday morning with great intentions of going to look for Al Green's church to hear him preach but while having breakfast down the street, noticed how well turned out people were (Jesus is serious business in the south), and decided turning up with my head hanging off me would show a serious lack of respect so instead I went off and got properly drunk. We had decided before hand that Sunday would not be a good day to take any tours so by a completely random process of selection, we sat down outside The Pig On Beale and proceeded to get stuck in. There are many great places where I have gotten drunk in the past but Beale street ranks up there with any of them. Junior looked after us very well as we chatted and drank with a fantastic variety of heads. Perhaps this photo will help illustrate the kind of heap I proceeded to get into.

The video below shows more messing from the same day where one of the hawkers tried to announce myself and the Coff but gets the names mixed up.

How I would love to tell you about the rest of the evening but it escapes me frankly, I have images of beers, screwdrivers, blues musicians, stupid hats, barbecue, standing on a bar rail singing the Irish national anthem (can anything beat the charm of the Irish drunk abroad?) and breaking the lamp in the hotel room while Coff and I pretended to be the "Leprechaun". Arseing around on a grand scale.

No comments: